Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cornbread Dressing

This is the way my family makes dressing. We don't stuff the bird with anything we plan on eating, but we make some southern cornbread dressing that we all love.
Not a great picture, but we were hungry and I didn't take time to make sure the lighting was good.

Anyway, this is how easy it is:

* 2 cans store bought biscuits
* 1 batch homemade cornbread
* 2 or 3 celery stalks, diced
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 2-3 tablespoons butter
* 2 cans chicken broth, or 3-4 cups broth from the turkey
* sage and poultry seasoning
* salt and pepper

I cook 2 cans of store bought biscuits and make one batch of cornbread in the oven. I use the Martha White self rising cornmeal and the recipe on the back is perfect. Tear the biscuits into pieces and crumble the cornbread into a large bowl.

Saute celery and onion in butter until the onion is tender. I sprinkle a little sage in with it while it is cooking. Mix in with the bread crumbs, then add chicken broth or the broth from the turkey until it is moist enough.

Now all you do is bake it until heated through and browned on top. You can add anything you want to it. My mom puts hard boiled eggs in it (not my fav) and my grandpa always put canned oysters in it (again not my fav). We keep it simple and yummy!

No comments: